About Q&Q

My name is Clare Mitchell. I’m a qualified Chartered Accountant and member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.

Contact me

I’ve spent many years in both accountancy practice and in industry and commerce, always in a senior and/or managerial financial role. I’ve worked in audit, financial services, retail, printing, media and the funeral service. It’s been a wide and wonderful experience! I also have a practising certificate – which means I can offer my accounting services to other businesses – and I’ve spent many years looking after a small group of private clients.

And, I’m also a published author.

There aren’t many of us who like combining words with figures, yet I do, and I’m keen to offer that as a win-win arrangement with other authors. One of the most precious things an author can have is TIME – time to write, that is, not time to battle with royalty statements, deductible expenses and tax returns.

**Need help to keep a record of your royalty income, especially if you have contracts with several publishers, and/or several self-published titles?
**Not sure what expenses you can claim?
**Not sure what documents are needed to work with US publishers?
**Need help to pull a set of accounts together?
**Need help to complete your tax return?
**Need help to set up as a limited company rather than an individual?

If you want this help to come from someone who is fully qualified, confident and reliable, has dealt successfully with tax and statutory authorities for many years, understands the business of writing and publishing, AND will charge reasonable and sensible prices… that’s me.

I consider myself very much one of your team, with the aim of maximising your income and reducing any administrative burden, but also able to offer professional guidance so that you remain within the statutory and taxation regulations at all times.

I’m based in Surrey, though I work almost entirely online, through email, video calls, and by phone. However I always welcome meeting clients face to face. There’s no substitute for it! but my online connection means that I can deal with anything wherever I am, and also deal with clients wherever they’re geographically based. Any documents and correspondence we pass between us will be by email or scan, and my Privacy Policy states my commitment to keeping your position and information safe.

Visit Services Available to see if this is what you’re looking for, and how you can make a package of whichever and whatever you need.

Please make full use of my FAQs. I’m always happy to receive suggestions for more!
And I blog occasionally on subjects that I think are of interest or significance for my clients, so please feel free to subscribe to that.
I’m also on Facebook where the blog posts are shared.

UKPoundNOTE: At the moment, I only cover tax arrangements for authors who are UK residents.
This can include royalty income earned by a UK author from overseas e.g. from US publishers, but not UK income paid to a US resident author.